News & EventsLatest NewsCalendar
Lewes Lions U14s 29 Worthing U14s 7

Lewes Lions U14s 29 Worthing U14s 7

Paul Nicholl3 Feb - 20:00
Share via

Report by Mark Ferguson

The Lewes U14s played their second friendly of the year on Sunday 28th January at Worthing. This was another chance for the squad to continue to work on team development as their next league matches drew closer at the end of the month.

For the first 15 minutes of the match Lewes, despite plenty of hard work, found it difficult to break through the Worthing defence. Eventually, after some great work up the middle a quick pick up and go from a ruck resulted in Harry Boot-Handford crossing the line for Lewes. Unfortunately, no further points could be added through the conversion.

As Lewes attempted to build after this first try, their momentum was slowed by successive Worthing penalties. With some quick ball the Worthing pack were able to gain enough pace to take the ball over the line putting the scores at Lewes 5, Worthing 7 after a successful conversion.

Lewes were quick to regain the initiative and after some great work down the line from Reggie Hart and an excellent carry by Ollie Beddows, Lewes found themselves within the Worthing 22. From an error in the Worthing lineout, Finn Simmonds was able to cross the line, putting the score at Lewes 10, Worthing 7 after a missed conversion.

Worthing were quick to reply to this try and put Lewes under pressure in the last minutes of the half. Lewes were able to maintain a solid defence, and Leo Vincent put in a great try saving tackle in the last minutes of the half.

At the start of the second half Worthing were penalised with a yellow card for lifting in the tackle. Lewes were quick to take advantage of this and with a great kick to the corner set-up a lineout deep in the Worthing 22. Leo Vincent was then able to cross the line for Lewes, after a deflected kick from Reggie Hart, putting the score at Lewes 15, Worthing 7, after the conversion bounced off the crossbar.

Lewes continued to maintain pressure on the Worthing pack. This led to some rash decisions on Worthing’s part, resulting in a tough competition for possession and momentum. Over time, the Lewes forwards and centres were able to make space down the middle, resulting in a great run from Jabez Ormerod Down, followed by Leon Hutson crossing the line, putting the score at Lewes 22, Worthing 7 after a conversion made by Reggie Hart.

The pressure of points and tired legs opened up further spaces in the Worthing line and in the last minutes of the half, Olly Scott, after a pick up from a loose ball in the scrum, was able to run half the pitch and take the ball over the line. With a good conversion by Hart, this put the final score line at Lewes 29, Worthing 7.

The Lewes squad maintained excellent discipline in what was a challenging match. Our new players continued to show great skills development and are looking forward to our next friendly at home to Tunbridge Wells.

Team Sheet for the Match:

Laurie Blomfield, Olly Scott, Harry Boot-Handford, Fin Simmonds, Logan Wood, Max Holmes, Leo Vincent, Frankie Travers, James Skelton, Josh Ferguson, Reggie Hart, Jaxson Walker, Ollie Beddows, Louie Stokes, Leon Hutson, Elliot Luscombe, Sam Campbell-Brown, Jabez Ormerod Down, Rupert Collins (C).

Further reading